Cup-cake-ology:

(kuhp-keyk-ŏl'ə-jē)
The science of creating, baking, decorating, eating, and enjoying one of the world's most important creations... the cupcake.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

wake and bake

ok, not like THAT, but I got your attention right? lately I've been getting the urge to cook and bake a lot, especially on sunday mornings. I was sitting in bed today, trying to think about what I could make when I got up... and I got an idea- cornbread muffins! ok so I know, they're not actually cupcakes. but I mean, why not? they're the same shape, they're usually sweet, you make them in the same pan, aaand I wanted to blog about baking.

SO TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET. :)

Sweet and Savory Cornbread Muffins













  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease muffin pan or use cupcake liners.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk, onion, and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  4. This step is up to you, but I always like to sprinkle a little sugar on top when they're about halfway through cooking. It adds just a little extra sweetness and crunch that I love.
*I actually made 12 muffins, and a six-inch "corncake," but this should make about 12-18 muffins if you just stick to that. also my original recipe said to bake for about 20-25 min, but like I said- they got a little too done at 20 minutes for me.




I think these turned out super delicious. they actually reminded me a little bit of hush puppies, which made me very happy. you could probably use this as a hush puppy batter, honestly. maybe just make it a little thicker, and drop it in some hot oil. mmmm. I might just have to do that.

I'm pretty happy with this recipe, it's good for breakfast/brunch, dinner, or just a snack. and now more pictures. :) I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment