Cup-cake-ology:

(kuhp-keyk-ŏl'ə-jē)
The science of creating, baking, decorating, eating, and enjoying one of the world's most important creations... the cupcake.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

cheater "fancy" nutty devil's food cupcakes



so today was a pretty lazy saturday, except for making cupcakes... jeff asked if I would make dessert if he ordered dinner, so I agreed- I always want treats and I was pretty bored anyway.

I was trying to think up something fun, and I remembered I had a boxed cake mix in the pantry. it's actually been a while since I've used one, so I figured why not? my problem is I always have to screw around recipes and add something or find a new/weird way to make it.

so obviously I couldn't just make a plain ol' devil's food cake (or cupcakes). instead I decided to do devil's food cupcakes w/nutella filling, peanut butter-cinnamon frosting, and chocolate butterscotch swirl on top. see, I told you- I can't just leave things alone.



since I just used a box, there's not really much of a recipe. just follow the instructions on the box, and then:

  • fill cupcake liners about halfway up w/batter, then spoon in about 1/4 teaspoon of nutella, cover nutella w/just a little more batter.
  • bake according to instructions on box (about 20 minutes).
Frosting:

  • about 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (depending on how thick/thin you want the frosting)
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • approx. 1/4 cup milk
  • cream all ingredients together on medium in stand mixer until creamy and fluffy.

for the chocolate on top I melted about 2/3 cup of a mix of regular semi-sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the microwave for about 20 seconds at a time, stirring, until it was all smooth and evenly melted. spoon it into a plastic zip-top bag, clip off a tiny end to pipe onto the cupcakes.



and yeah, that's about it! I only tasted a half of a test cupcake, cause the rest are for dessert, but I'm pretty pleased w/the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment